Migrating to software raid on fc3

Eric Persson eric at persson.tm
Sat Feb 25 20:55:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm having a server which I suspect will have a drive failure real soon,
since its been remounting the partition(ext3) read-only a few times, and
I have to do fsck -c on it and then reboot to be able to write to it,
and its coming more often.

So, so prevent this I ordered 2 new disks(200gb) which I intend to
replace the faulty one with.
My plan is the following, and I would appreciate if someone could give
me some insights or hints on it whether it would work.

1. install one new drive as a mirrored software raid with one missing disk.
2. either mount the old drive as readonly manually and then use dd to
move everything to the new md0 disk.
3. install bootloader on the new disk.
4. remove the faulty disk and boot on the new md0
5. install the second new disk and add it to the md0.

Would this be possible at all, I havent tried it in practice yet, but
will probably to it on a live server which will bring it to a certain
downtime.

Will it be a problem that the old disk is 80gb and the new ones are 200?
Can I grow the ext3 partitions later on when its finally migrated?

Can anyone foresee any other possible problems? :)

Thanks in advance,
     Eric