samba shares in FC4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 15:30:55 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 14:07, Tim wrote:

> I found the ability to do browsing somewhat of a problem.  Only some
> things could do it.  There'd always be some application that you'd want
> to open a file with, but not be able to because the remote file wasn't
> explicitly mounted onto the file system, but had been browsed to in one
> of the few applications that supported SMB.
>
> If you're explictly mounting things (e.g. using /etc/fstab entries) then
> the protocol becomes less important to you.  However, I found NFS to be
> quicker than SMB (for me, at least).

My main concerns are to provide an easy way to copy files onto the server for
safe keeping, and to easily share files with the windows users, particularly
since I often download files that can only be used with a windows box (not
relevant, but it's computerised patterns for a sewing machine).

I'll see how it performs over the next day or two, but that applet looks as
though it will be perfect for the job.

Anne