./configure question

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 17:21:55 UTC 2006

peter kostov wrote:
> Hi,
> I have noticed that if I have installed say two packages - A.tgz
> (source) and B.rpm, and now I want to install C.rpm (depending on both A
> and B), the installer doesn't find the (installed) dependency A.
>
> So I think that configure by default uses different paths  than rpm and
> I should pass some parameters, like
> ./configure --prefix=?
>
> What is the exact parameter that I have to pass to configure to make
> both installations from source and from rpm compatible, or is the
> problem elsewhere?
>
> I use FC3, RPM version 4.3.2

My understanding is that rpm will look at the rpm database for
dependecies, so 'rpm -ivh C' will not find A no matter where you
install it.

Two choices:
1. (Quicker, but causes problems later) Tell rpm to ignore the
    dependecies and install anyway.
2. Build A as an rpm (difficulty varies, some packages provide
    a 'make rpm' target) then install using 'rpm -ivh A'.  I
    don't have any links on this, but there are quite a few howtos,
    you'll have as much luck with google as I will.  ISTR fresrpms
    has one.

Bonus choice:
3. Find a repository containing A and install from there via yum.

--
imalone