./configure question

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Feb 26 17:24:20 UTC 2006

peter kostov wrote:
> Hi,
> I have noticed that if I have installed say two packages - A.tgz
> (source) and B.rpm, and now I want to install C.rpm (depending on both A
> and B), the installer doesn't find the (installed) dependency A.
>
> So I think that configure by default uses different paths  than rpm and
> I should pass some parameters, like
> ./configure --prefix=?
>
> What is the exact parameter that I have to pass to configure to make
> both installations from source and from rpm compatible, or is the
> problem elsewhere?
>
> I use FC3, RPM version 4.3.2

When installing an RPM, the RPM database is checked for
dependencies, not what is actually installed in the system.
So if you are installing C.rpm, and it needs the files from
A.tgz, the installed reports them missing. This is one of the
drawbacks of any packaging system. You really should find or
build an RPM for A.tgz. You may want to look into checkinstall
if you want to build from source. It isn't perfect, but it can
save you a lot of time!

Mikkel