Boot problem W2k/FC4 -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Feb 26 18:36:52 UTC 2006

bobgoodwin wrote:
>>> I have installed Windows 2000/NTFS on /dev/hda and FC4 on /dev/hdb but
>>> Grub is never displayed, Windows is booted immediately.  I've tried
>>> installing grub in boot and mbr as offered in the installation routine
>>> with the same result.

Tim:
>> Some people dual-booting with Windows find it easier to keep Linux
>> completely on its own drive (bootloaders, and all), and put an entry
>> into the NT loader file so that the Windows boot menu gives you the
>> options of which drive to boot from.

bobgoodwin:
> I don't recall seeing an option to do that with Windows 2000 but it may
> not be a menu item?

The boot.ini file (if I've remembered the correct file) in the Windows
C:/ drive is read just before Windows boots up.  In it are entries for
what windows will boot up.  If you can understand how to refer to the
right drive and partition, you can add an entry for your Linux drive.

There's a plethora of webpages describing how to do this.  It might even
been in one of the Fedora FAQ websites.

> There is an option offered right at the install start that I didn't
> comprehend ...

Well, unless you tell us what it is, we won't be able to offer any
advice.

> I solved the problem by doing 'Linux rescue' from disk #1 and then
> 'grub-install /dev/hda' to fix the problem.  However I still don't
> understand why the Install/Upgrade routines that I ran several times
> did not accomplish this?

Again, without knowing exactly what you did, we can't really make a good
guess.

You haven't mentioned which drive you tried installing GRUB onto the
first time around.  You only said you've put it onto *a* MBR, not which
drive.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.