FC4 kernel with nvidia driver

alan alan at clueserver.org
Sun Feb 26 20:45:50 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Bob Chiodini wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 08:05 -0800, Todd Simi wrote:
>> If you download from NVIDIA, make sure you check for all the patches you
>> will need.  There are several depending on which kernel version you are
>> running.

> Seems to work directly from nvidia here.  Kernel 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4.
>
> AMD athlon 64 running 32-bit FC4.  The 64 bit version works for the
> 64-bit FC4 distro as well.

You will need to have "kernel-devel" installed to be able to build the
nVIDIA closed source driver.  (Easy with yum if you are using the latest
kernel.  A pain if you are not. There is no mechanism to get older
kernel-devel packages with yum.) Also make sure you have ncurses
installed. (Used by the program that builds and installs everything.)

Building it for FC5 is a bit more challenging.  Due to changes in the
current kernel, you have to patch a few things.  (One patch if you are
using i386 and two if you are using x86_64.)  The patches are posted on
nVIDIA's discussion board.  I can make a tarball of the two patches if
you can't find them.  (It is on my laptop.)  Also you need to have
xorg-sdk installed. (Make sure ncurses is updated to current. Some of the
older ncurses packages in FC5t[1-2] had problems.

The next release of the nVIDIA driver should support FC5, as well as some
stuff needed for the new xgl desktop eyecandy.

Some applications claim to need an older version of the nVIDIA drivers.
(Transgaming wine for some games.)  I have yet to get it to work correctly
on my video card, so I am not so certain.

BTW, I have built the kernel for both i386 and x86_64 without too many
problems.

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."