./configure question

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 27 03:35:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 19:08 +0200, peter kostov wrote:
> Hi,
> I have noticed that if I have installed say two packages - A.tgz
> (source) and B.rpm, and now I want to install C.rpm (depending on both A
> and B), the installer doesn't find the (installed) dependency A.
>
> So I think that configure by default uses different paths  than rpm and
> I should pass some parameters, like
> ./configure --prefix=?
>
> What is the exact parameter that I have to pass to configure to make
> both installations from source and from rpm compatible, or is the
> problem elsewhere?

rpm's will (almost) never see a package you installed by compiling.

rpm looks in the rpm database to find out what is there and if it meets
the requirements of the package being installed.  It usually does not
look at the files actually on the system.

There are 2 steps to follow in order to get an rpm package to install
when it's dependencies are not met.

First:
The package you installed by compiling _should_ be in the default
location for the rpm package.  That usually means that the configure
step should have specified prefix=/usr .  Note that if it is not already
that way you should uninstall the one there now, and reinstall with the
proper prefix.

Second:
The new rpm can be installed with the --nodeps option as long as you are
certain everything needed is actually there, even if not installed as an
rpm.

The recommended way is to uninstall the compiled package and then use
yum to install both a and c. This will satisfy the dependencies and the
database will then be complete.  Of course, you may have a reason to
keep it the way it currently is. YMMV