no sound from internal mono channel on Aopen MiniPC

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Feb 27 04:47:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 11:23 -0800, John Cole wrote:
>   I'm trying to get the internal mono sound speaker to work on an
> Aopen MiniPC.  I get sound from the external jack but none from the
> internal speaker.
>
>   Scouring the web, I have performed the modprobe pcpskr and gotten it
> to appear in a lsmod after a reboot.  I have made sure it is not muted
> and the volume is up (among many other combinations :-) )
>
>   The documentation seems to indicate that the internal speaker is a
> mono sound channel, so I don't know if it is supposed to use pcspkr or
> not.

I don't know what the "mono" volume control does (I can't get any effect
from it on my PCs).  If you want the PC speaker/beeper to sound off
through the sound card, it'll need to be plugged into it somehow.  Some
sound cards have a header to connect the PC speaker to it, and it's then
controlled by a "speaker" volume control.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea, though.  Most Linux things don't
play with the speaker, if they produce a sound they play an audio file
through the sound system.  The BIOS uses the beeper for important things
like overheat or fan-stuck warnings, you really do want such alerts to
be heard, not silenced by your audio mixer settings.

I read messages from the public lists.