Newbie Questions

Andy Goss aegoss at vicnet.net.au
Tue Feb 28 02:06:31 UTC 2006

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:46:26 -0600
> From: "Timothy Brooks" <cera_linux at cox.net>
> Subject: Newbie Questions
> To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> Hello,
>
> I am about as new as they come.  I have downloaded Fedora and am about to
> install.  I have a Windows 98 machine and am not sure if I want to set up a
> dual boot or just put Fedora on this computer.  It is an older machine
> (500MHz, 128 RAM) but I would like to see what Linux/Fedora is like.  What
> would you recommend?
>
> I need some instructions on installation of Fedora from a hard drive.  The
> instruction with Fedora are too limited for me.  Can someone please direct
> me to a more detailed source.
>
> Do I need to burn the .iso files to CDs?  I understand you cannot just copy
> these files, that they need to be copied as .iso images, correct?  What does
> what I just said mean?  Copy as an "image".  Is there a setting in my CD
> burning program that I need to use?
>
> I think these questions help the group understand my level, which is very
> Newbie.
>
> Does Fedora have programs with it?  Does it include a browser or program to
> check email?  Word processing?  Or will I need to find Linux software for
> this computer?
>
> Sorry for the simplicity of my questions but as they say, you need to start
> somewhere.
>
> Thank you for any direction.
>
> Tim Brooks

Before you do anything drastic, take a look at:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html
http://www.fedorafaq.org/
http://www.fedoraforum.org/
http://fedora.redhat.com/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ - there is a Newbie forum and a
Fedora forum

If you are going to partition your existing drive,
http://www.sysresccd.org/Index.en.php
is invaluable. Note that you should do a defrag first.

Andy Goss