FC 4 Networking bridge

Mark mark at lumison.net
Sat Jan 28 07:03:23 UTC 2006

Hi all

Perhaps I am being a lil dim here as a new linux sysadmin personage
(previous preference was for windows, emphasis on "was")

For some reason I have not been able to get a working network along the
following lines.

NOTE this network is purely for systems testing, bandwidth etc, hence
the daisy chain effect.

I have 2 servers, both running FC4 and a cisco router.

The aim is to test throughput from one server to the other via the cisco.

My proposed solution is as follows:
Both servers have 2 gigE nics
Cisco has 2 interfaces which I have named ciscoLan and ciscoWan

Basically I want server 1 with eth0 connected to my DMZ network (and the
world at large) witha  public IP address
I then want to configure eth1 with another public IP to connect directly
to the ciscoWan

I already have the cisco connected via ciscoLan to server 2 using NAT
and private IPs but I cannot get eth1 on server 1 to come up with the IP
address I need and then talk to the cisco.

I think the issue may be that I need to enable bridging of sorts between
the 2 NICs, as MS does with ICS etc.

So the question is, how do I acheive that?

As far as I can tell, I have all the interfaces configured correctly.

I can`t give the actual IPs here, but I will give an example:
All Xs give the same subnet

Server 1
/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=test-server-01.domain.net
GATEWAY=X.X.X.33

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:14:22:22:04:1A
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
IPADDR=X.X.X.41
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
GATEWAY=X.X.X.33

DEVICE=eth1
HWADDR=00:14:22:22:04:1A
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
IPADDR=X.X.X.42
GATEWAY=217.30.126.33  <- is this a problem????

Have I really missed something and thats why this server can`t talk to
my cisco on eth1?  By the way, the cisco has an IP of X.X.X.62

I am trying to have both eth0 and eth1 having IPs only 1 apart and the
gateway for eth1 is set to the same as eth0.  Is this adding to the
problems?

I can solve it fairly easily by installing windows on server 1 and
configure ICS etc, but I would rather avoid that for 2 reasons:
- having FC4 on the server is beneficial for us after this roject
- I don`t want to give in to this problem, I would rather solve it.

Thanks in advnace.

Mark

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison, nplusone or lightershade ltd.
presence of viruses.  Lumison, nplusone and lightershade ltd accepts no

Virus scanned by Lumison.