OT: Email signing

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 31 13:17:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 23:36 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> 1) Can I do both SMIME and PGP in my emails?

I wouldn't think so.  A signature is added to a message as confirmation
that the message hasn't been tampered with, therefore its based on the
message contents.

Conjecture, because adding a signature adds to the contents:  If you
were to add one then the other, the first signature would try to
proclaim the message to be okay.  The second signature added would try
to proclaim the message with the first signature, in combination, to be
okay.  But adding the second signature changed the message, so anyone
trying only to use the first signature (because that's all that their
client supported) would see the message had been changed (by the second
signature).

I read messages from the public lists.