snort

Alejandro Flores alejandrorflores at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 14:51:03 UTC 2006

Hello Chris,

> Hi people,
> I have snort compiled and installed on my FC4 machine, but my question is,
> how do I get it to run in the back ground, and then have it come into the
> fourground and print to STDOut if and when it spots any problems?

I recommend you to go to snort website (http://www.snort.org/) and
subscribe the snort-users list!
Try running 'snort -h' to see the command line options.
Snort have several options of logging alerts (syslog, textfile,
database, binary), you may choose the best for you.
The most commonly used setup is running snort logging to a database,
mysql for example, and running BASE (http://base.sourceforge.net) for
incident analisys.

--
Best Regards, and happy new year!