Gzip better than Bz2 ? Normal?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Jan 2 10:43:50 UTC 2006

From:           	"Michael A. Peters" <mpeters at mac.com>
To:             	fedora-list at redhat.com
Date sent:      	Mon, 02 Jan 2006 02:16:23 -0800
Subject:        	Re: Gzip better than Bz2 ? Normal?
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 21:06 -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
>

> > On my system, I used gzip and bzip2 to compress /etc just as a test:
> >
> > [root at ml110 ~]# tar zcf etc.tgz /etc/
> > tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
> > [root at ml110 ~]# tar jcf etc.tar.bz2 /etc/
> > tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
> > [root at ml110 ~]# ls -lh etc.t*
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root 6.0M Jan  1 18:49 etc.tar.bz2
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root root 8.4M Jan  1 18:48 etc.tgz
> >
> > So on my systems, bzip2 beat the heck out of gzip.
>
> Yeah - it really depends.
> If I remember correctly - I was playing with bzip2 and gzip for man
> pages on my lfs system, and for the man pages - gzip was both faster
> decompression (when man wanted to read them) and smaller - in general,
> but for info pages - bzip2 saved a LOT of space - I think the more data
> you have (text files anyway), the better compression you get out of
> bzip2.
>
> I pretty much just use gzip though for everything - the extra space
> isn't that much and gzip is pretty standard everywhere.
>
> --

To add another compression to the list, you might want to look at lzop.
I use it with g4l to create disk images. It has the option of using gzip, bzip,
and lzop. I find that lzop is faster to compress than gzip. With an 80GB drive
and 3 OS's it takes about 2 hours for gzip to compress the drive, and only
about 1 hour for lzop. Both seem to decompress in about 50 minutes, so it is
with compression time. I tried to use bzip2 for the compression, but it was
just taking way longer the gzip.

So, if compression time is an issue, lzop can be much faster. It does create
and image that is about 10% to 12% larger than with gzip,  but for me, half
the time was more of an issue.

> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list at redhat.com

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC Seti at Home Total Credits 203204.188247