Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 2 19:05:42 UTC 2006

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Charles Howse wrote:
>
>>But is it mandatory for me to list the research I've done and the results?
>>I would hope not.
>>Maybe I've gone off on a tangent in my research, or don't know how to Google
>>as well as someone else?  Is that a reason to RTFM me?
>

> "Mandatory" isn't a helpful word, I think. It isn't mandatory for you to
> post or me to answer.

[snip]

Nice answer. Another way to answer this is

YOU are the one trying to convince me to donate my most precious
resource, my time, to you free of charge. Why should you expect
that I would make that donation if you are unwilling to expend
your OWN time trying to answer your question. So, show me that
you are interested enough in your problem to expend some of your
own resources, and THEN I'll be willing to expend some of mine.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.