kernel-2.4.20 on FC4

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 17:19:18 UTC 2006

saravanan ganapathy wrote:
> I need to install kernel 2.4.20 on FC4.
>
> First I have installed gcc-2.95.3 & modutils of 2.4.x
> , then I compiled 2.4.20 kernel using these utilities.
> The compilation went successfully without any error.
> But when I boot with this kernel, I am getting the
> following error
>
> EXT2-fs warning (device ide0(3,3)): ext2_read_super:
> mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2
>
> Freeing unused kernel memory : 136k freed
> Warning: unable to open an initial console
> attempt to access beyond end of device
>
> I think the main problem is " unable to open an
> initial console "
>
> How to solve this?

Easiest way is to install a distribution that still supports 2.4. You'll
have a *lot* of work to do turning off all the dynamic stuff that needs
2.6 and reimplementing the old static equivalents. In the first place,
you won't have a properly populated /dev.

And at the end of the day, you won't have a Fedora Core 4 system. You
certainly won't be able to just use yum to update.

I'd suggest that you look at CentOS 3 if you want a supported (as in
"updates are available"), Red Hat-like system.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james |   _   This apostrophe
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |  /'\  In case of emergency