my fc 4 isnt yum'y enough!

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 4 20:33:31 UTC 2006

jackc wrote:
[snip]
>> What is the output of "rpm -qi python".
>>

> Name        : python                       Relocations: (not
> relocatable) Version     : 2.3.4                             Vendor: Red
> Hat, Inc.
> Release     : 14                            Build Date: Thu 04 Nov 2004
> 11:11:06 AM PST
> Install Date: Wed 21 Dec 2005 02:58:21 PM PST      Build Host:
> tweety.build.redhat.com
[snip]

In addition to being a differnet version, the FC4 python RPM is built on
"decompose.build.redhat.com", not "tweety.build.redhat.com".  It is also
signed with a different key.  This is not a FC4 python RPM.

[snip]
>> rpm  -q --provides redhat-release
> config(redhat-release) = 4ES-2 redhat-release = 4ES-2
>
> what does this translate to?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 ES, not Fedora Core 4.

Actually because my command was wrong, FC4 doesn't find anything.  The
command should be "rpm -q --whatprovides redhat-release".  On a FC4 system
it is provided by "fedora-release-4-2".

--
William Hooper