YUM problem on new FC4 installation

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jan 4 23:07:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 06:23:00AM -0500, fredex wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:57:28AM +0100, Alessandro Brezzi wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > 2006/1/3, fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>:
> > >
> > > Hi Gang!
> > >
> > > I've got a brand new FC4 installation. Trying to use yum (or up2date)
> > > to import and install all the updates since the release.
> > >
> > > Either program will run for a while then hang. for, like, 2 hours until
> > > I kill it. When hung it consumes 80-90% of the CPU but does nothing
> > > obviously productive.
> > >
> > > Is this a known issue? if so can anyone suggest a fix/workaround for it?
> > >
> > > thanks!
> >

> > If you made a full install, expect about 1,6GB of update to be downloaded
> > and installed. This can lead to a critical situation.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try doing it as you show below.
>
> However, I installed using the "personal workstation" option then I
> weeded through the package list, reducing it still further, because
> I had only a 4 gig partition, and needed only a few apps (mainly k3b
> and gnucash). Still, yum spews a loooooong list of headers it wants
> before it hangs.
>
> While I haven't previously used FC to any large extent, I have installed
> RHEL3, RHEL4, and TaoLinux several times and always just done a bulk
> update of each system, to update the whole thing in one fell swoop,
> and have never had this kind of problem before.
>
> > When I've made a similar job I've used this approach:
> > 1- yum update yum
> >     this is the first thing to be sure yum is correct
> > 2- yum update kernel*
> >     just to download the latest kernel
> > 3- yum update xorg*
> >     the x11 part
> > 4- yum update gnome* kde*
> > 5- yum update gcc*
> > 6- reboot
> >     to use the new kernel/xorg etc
> > 7- yum check-update | tee myup2date | wc
> >     to have a list of package to be updated
> > 8- vim myup2date
> >     see how many packages you have to upgrade and try to update group of
> > them (yum
> >     update pref* as per yum update mysql* or yum update ooffice*)
> >
> > Be carefull to update for limited batch of packages; if you are updating an
> > x86_64 mach, many package come in the double arch i386 and x86_64. In some
> > situation the rpm can be confused in updating this. Updating a small set of
> > package can be usefull to fix this problems (for me: perl, cups and some
> > other package)
> >
> > HTH
> > --
> > Alessandro Brezzi

I started doing the steps above. I got down to step 4 and it hung for
a loooooong time and (my memory getting a bit fuzzy here) I think it
died (or I killed it eventually). Then I tried just updating gnome*
and it got a segfault so I tried again and it just hung. Eventually I
tried removing the rpm database and doing rpm --rebuilddb but that
hangs more or less forever (overnight) with nothing visible happening.

Have I, perhaps, got some locks set on rpm or yum that I need to
clear? I didn't find anything that leaped out at me.

I'm leaning towards blow it all away and do it again, but am willing
to try other things should suggestions arise.

Fred