Cannot login as root in terminal

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 5 18:54:08 UTC 2006

Andy Green:
>>> ll /bin/su
>>> -rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 78837 Jul 25 16:36 /bin/su

Jon Jahren:
>> ll /bin/su
>> -rwxr-xr-x  1 jon root 59740 Jul 25 17:39 /bin/su"

Paul Howarth:
> Not the same as the one above then (the SUID bit is gone). Try:
> # chmod 4755 /bin/su
> I'd be wondering how the permissions got mangled though...

Alessandro Brezzi:
> ... it seem another program: different length and different owner:
> why?

On three (working fine) machines, here, I see:

$ ll /bin/su
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 59740 Jul 26 01:09 /bin/su

While the permissions and onwership changes are worrying, I wonder about
the file size differences.  I see that "su" is from coreutils, and I
have:  coreutils-5.2.1-48.1  Is everyone using the same package?

I read messages from the public lists.

If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out but tomfoolery.
But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very expensive machine, is
somehow enobled and no-one dare criticise it. -- Pierre Gallois