chmod a-x chmod Fix?

AragonX aragonx at dcsnow.com
Sat Jan 7 13:22:20 UTC 2006

<quote who="Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer">
> andy at warmcat.com (Andy Green) writes:
>> This sounds extremely cool and dangerous,
>
> That's why mounting a device noexec is pretty much useless.
>
>> but I could not make it work.
>> [...]
>
> Strange, works here under FC5T1 and FC4 (and gentoo on alpha and debian on
> sparc).
>
> mchouque - /tmp/1 %cp /bin/chmod .
> mchouque - /tmp/1 %chmod 644 chmod
> mchouque - /tmp/1 %ls -la chmod
> -rw-r--r-- 1 mchouque susers 35260 Jan  6 16:12 chmod
> mchouque - /tmp/1 %/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /tmp/1/chmod
> /tmp/1/chmod: missing operand
> Try `/tmp/1/chmod --help' for more information.

This worked quite well until I tried it on my /tmp partition.

# mount
/dev/hda6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid)

tmp]# ls -al chmod
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 38464 Jan  7 08:15 chmod

tmp]# /lib/ld-linux.so.2 ./chmod --help
./chmod: error while loading shared libraries: ./chmod: failed to map
segment from shared object: Operation not permitted

So it appears it doesn't work on noexec,nosuid partitions.  Thank God!

believed to be clean.