Parental controls in Linux

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jan 8 21:26:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 15:40, Dave Gavin wrote:

>  You might try building an IPCop firewall with Dan's Guardian added to it.
> IPCop is a great firewall (I use it at home and at my office) and I've
> heard that Dan's Guardian is a pretty effective proxy that will block
> most porn sites. Might take some attention to keep it up to date, but
> it'd be worth a try. IPCop will also log all outgoing connections, so
> even if he can get to those site, knowing that it's all logged on a
> separate box might give him reason to think twice.

Why not disable access except when the parents are around to monitor?
Many of the netgear/linksys routers have the capability of scheduled
access times for specific IP addresses.

As has been recommended, put the system in a common area of the house
and don't allow access unless the parents are there to monitor the
activity.  Trying to block specific sites and content is at best a
losing battle.  You would be better off being a parent and cutting off
access if/when they break any rules that you lay down.