JDK confusion

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:54:07 UTC 2006

On 1/9/06, Jim Cox <shakahshakah at gmail.com> wrote:

> The tar.gz route is about as easy as it gets, and lets you keep
> multiple versions of the JDK on the box. I just expand install under
> /usr (e.g. /usr/jdk1.5.0_01) and symlink the /usr/java directory along
> with the main executables (/usr/bin/java, /usr/bin/javac, etc.).

The default installation path for the Sun provided package is /opt
(specifically /opt/jdk1.5.0_06 and /opt/netbeans-1.4).  To smoothly
handle this naming convention, I'd suggest creating appropriate
symlinks named /opt/java and /opt/netbeans and then simply putting
those in your path (/opt/java/bin and /opt/netbeans/bin).  This is how
Sun handles it on Solaris systems (using /usr/java).

You can go the jpackage route if you like.  I don't simply because I
don't want to mess with maintaining a java package on my machine no
matter how easy someone has made it for me.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."