Cannot Login!

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 00:12:34 UTC 2006

Michael D. Berger wrote:
> I should have mentioned that I do get the login prompt.  It
> doesn't trcognize my username or password. Additionally, when
> it powers up, there are several red [FAILED] reports where I
> usually see green [OK].  I tried your suggestion just after
> power on.  It asked for a bios name.

Hmm.

I don't understand what you mean by a "bios name": do you mean that the
screen is mostly black with white writing? As that's a traditional
console. Your user-name and password should work there, as should
root's.

Come to that, root should work at the graphical login prompt. It's not
recommended for every-day usage, but it should work.

What *is* coming up with [FAILED]?

You should be able to use the rescue CD or boot in single-user mode to
reset root's password if that's lost.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Anonymous:          What do you think of Stainer's
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |                     "Crucifixion"?