Switching from GRUB to NTLDR

Vicki Walsh v_walsh at talk21.com
Wed Jan 11 14:11:49 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

  Hoping someone can help, I'm a bit of a Linux (well anything computer related) newbie.

  Currently I have a computer set up with Win2000 Pro first then Fedora second. I am using GRUB as the bootloader.

  I'd like to do the following:

  Reinstall GRUB to the Linux partition boot sector

  Somehow rewrite NTLDR to the MBR

  dd Grub bootsector into grub.bin file and move to Win2000

  modify the boot.ini file to boot the Linux partition.

  I'd like to do all this (essentially switching out GRUB for NTLDR) while preserving all data/partitions. Am I dreaming of a perfect world, or might this be possible? (btw - I dont mean to suggest that using NTLDR as the bootloader is perfect). What would the 'somehow write NTLDR to MBR' be if this is possible?

  Thanks so much for your help

  VWISH