new way of connecting to the net...

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Jan 13 13:00:41 UTC 2006

On Thu January 12 2006 11:41 am, Michael Wright wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have just heard that you wont need to be on a land line if you live in
> Australia. Ergon Enery is taking over, all you need is adsl modem a
> computer and all you do is plug it in the wall and you connected, this
> will go on your power bill...
>
> don't ask me how long will this be in place as a friend of mind works
> for Ergon and it maybe by the end of the year. all next year people will
> be notice by tv,there inter website, on there next bill, even in your
> local paper
>
> good news has come at last now we don't have to worry about connecting
> to a phone line....
>
> Mick

For why this may not be such a great idea, take a look here to see some
details about the controversy raging around the proposed broadband over power
line proposals.
http://tinyurl.com/4jubx
It is claimed that recent improvements may have dealt with some of the
criticisms - I'm not a ham radio operator, so I can't speak to that, but,
friends of mine in the ham radio community are not entirely mollified.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA