samba icon

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 13 01:18:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 09:59 -0500, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On my FC-4 desktop config, I have checked
>   "Mounted Samba (Microsoft Network) Share"
> but no icon appears upon mounting.

I've no idea what you're referring to.

> This does work in RH-E-WS-4.  This is non-trivial, because it protects
> me from evil consequences if I shut down a windows box with samba
> mounted.

I only see icons on my desktop for some mounted things, Samba doesn't
have one by default.  Looking through my fstab file, only those things
that're considered to be "removeable" drives get a desktop icon.  For
the floppy and CD drives, that seems to be implied; but anything else
seems to need you to specify it.

e.g. /dev/flashdrive /media/flashdrive vfat pamconsole,noexec,nodev,noauto,dmask=0002,fmask=0113,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t 0 0

I'm not sure whether it's the "pamconsole" or "fscontext=...removable_t"
options that does the trick.  I'll let you experiment with that.  But I
suspect you won't want to use pamconsole unless you also want the user
to be able to mount and dismount it at will.

I read messages from the public lists.