upgrading from mysql 4 to 5 on fc4

Gregory Machin gregory.machin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 21:46:15 UTC 2006

Thanks for the advise, I have done custom compiles of apache and php before
so to compile mysql 5 from scratch doesnt bother me to much, it's
just beaking the dependecies, that concerns me ...
I would have bothered with the upgrade if it wasnt for the fact that my
hosing provider is using 5.

Thanks will look into your advice hope you have a grate day.

On 1/13/06, Chasecreek Systemhouse <chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/13/06, Gregory Machin <gregory.machin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> > I need to upgrade to mysql 5, with out breaking to much stuff .. How
> would
> > you advise i go about this ?
>
> Dump your database BEFORE the upgrade.
>
> Document all the requirements of your current MySQL environment --
> php, perl, etc etc.
>
> You can probably use this out of development (I use it everyday
> without any issue) -
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/mysql-5.0.18-1.i386.rpm
>
> However, if you want to standardized migration then use the download
> rpms for source off the MySQL site and rebuild all the code yourself:
> MySQL Apache and PHP (and Perl BD requirements, etc.)
>
> Building from source at times seems a hard task but is quite easy once
> you get the hang of it.  Probably better to just download the FC rpms
> if you are not completely sure.
> --
> WC -Sx- Jones | http://ccsh.us/ | Open Source Consulting
>
> --