upgrading from mysql 4 to 5 on fc4

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Sat Jan 14 02:42:09 UTC 2006

Gregory,

XAMPP may be of interest to you.  From the website
(http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html):

XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP
and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just
download, extract and start.

It currently contains MySQL 5.0.18.  We're using it, and for our
purposes it's great.  It's completely contained in its own directory, so
if you try it and don't like it just rm -r and it's gone.  It's geared
towards development, so the default security settings are too loose for
a production server.  Tips on locking it down are available on the site.

Good luck,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer