Multiple sound

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 14 21:15:57 UTC 2006

On Saturday 14 January 2006 14:29, Nguyen Danh Hieu wrote:
>Hello
>Do somebody know how to make multiple sound in FC 4?

This isn't what I'd call a well stated question.  If you are asking how
to do two seperate sound streams, that can be pretty much impossible
without 2 actual, seperate sound facilities installed in the system.

Here as a example, I have an SBLive Audigy 2 setup as the main audio for
general uses and it works great even for playing .mid stuffs.  Tvtime,
xmms and the rest of the systems noisemakers work through it.

But the motherboards audio, a snd-intel8x0 compatible buried in an
nforce2 chipset on this old biostar board, is also alive and well and I
use it with skype.

However most of the tools for controlling it are somewhat limited, and
the only one size fits all mixer I was able to find that works for both
audio paths is 'kamix' which displays all options and gain sliders for
both circuits simultainiously on screen, a huge screen obviously.

The linux version of skype blindly assumes that its grabbing and sending
anything that comes out of /dev/mixer, not exactly what you would want.
Nobody will call you up just to listen to your music selections.

The answer there is a utility that functions as a launcher for skype,
hijacking the right devices and handing them to skype.  This is called
'skype_dsp_hijacker'.  This then makes skype send the audio
from /dev/mixer1 and listen to /dev/dsp1, isolating it from the ogg or
mp3 you might have playing through the speakers.

I use kde here, so I made an icon which executes
 "skype_dsp_hijacker --2nd"
without the quotes, which sets up skype and launches it.

Support requirements in the alsa category include alsalib-1.0.11rc2,
which is pretty new and you may have to use the --force option to put
it into an older system.  I did here, and have had no problems.  The
problem I had on this old FC2 system was that the alsa-libs-devel was
1.0.3-2 and I couldn't find a newer package for that, so the
sledgehammer approach was used instead.

I hope the language differences don't mangle the meanings and that this
is helpfull.  My russian is non-existant & I'm too old at 71 to learn
any new languages now.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: