Clamav stops in /var/log

Oliver Leitner shadow333 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 22:52:58 UTC 2006

if you are paranoid, its always good to check all directories...

normally though /var/log has the right permissions set, so only a root user
might put something there...

to keep clamav scans at a reasonable rate, i would only set it to check the
usual suspects:

/tmp
/var/www
/mnt
/home
/usr/local

if someone has root on your machine, clamav wont help you anyways, thats
where only a reinstall helps.

just my few thoughts about it...

Greetings
Oliver Leitner
http://www.neverslair-blog.net

On 1/14/06, George Hare <hare.george at gmail.com> wrote:

> GH> Would anyone know why Clamav ran through almost my entire file
> GH> system (FC4 64) for over an hour, just to freeze in the middle of
> GH> /var/log?
>
> ls -l /var/log
>
> - J<> Is /var/log/lastlog huge?  It's a sparse file so it doesn't take up
> - J<> any disk space, but running through it byte by byte isn't going to
> be
> - J<> quick.
>
> - J<
>

> ls -l /var/log/lastlog produces - 1 root root 1254130450140.
> Can I skip the scan of /var/log or are there security issues involved
> here?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> GH
>
> --