Need help with a serial port

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 16 03:24:11 UTC 2006

Steven W. Orr wrote:

>On Sunday, Jan 15th 2006 at 15:29 -0600, quoth Mikkel L. Ellertson:
>
>=>Steven W. Orr wrote:
>=>> My new 'puter came with no serial port. For $2.49 I bought a pci card
>=>> that has two serial ports and a parallel port. I plugged the card in and
>=>> rebooted. At boot kudzu ran but did not detect that anything new was
>=>> going on. When I try to hook up my palm to the serial port I get this
>=>> message:
>=>>
>=>> 521 > pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttys0 -b .
>=>>    Unable to bind to port: /dev/ttys0
>=>>    Please use --help for more information
>=>>
>=>> Same for ttyS1.
>=>>
>=>> Also, here's the output of lspci:
>=>>
>=>> 523 > lspci
>=>> 05:08.0 Communication controller: NetMos Technology PCI 9835 Multi-I/O
>=>> Controller (rev 01)
>=>>
>=>This is the I/O card.
>=>>
>=>> Is there a driver I need to modprobe? Anything I need to do?
>=>>
>=>> I'm lost. :-(
>=>>
>=>> TIA
>=>>
>=>The first thing you probably need is the parport_serial modual. When
>=>you modprobe this modula, it may or may not create the serial ports
>=>you need. I am using one on a Mandriva system, and at one time it
>=>would set up the serial ports as well, but this no longer works for
>=>me. I have to use setserial to set them up now. The other thing to
>=>be aware of is that the ports may be /dev/ttyS4 and /dev/ttyS5.
>=>Ports /dev/ttyS0 through /dev/ttyS3 are usually reserved for the
>=>onboard serial ports. I am not sure how it would be handled in your
>=>case.
>=>
>=>If you have to set the ports up by hand, you will need to run
>=>"lspic -v" to get the port numbers and IRQ. You should see something
>=>like this:
>=>
>=>02:0a.0 Communication controller: NetMos Technology PCI 9835
>=>Multi-I/O Controller (rev 01)
>=>        Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 1P2S
>=>        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 21
>=>        I/O ports at 1090 [size=8]
>=>        I/O ports at 1098 [size=8]
>=>        I/O ports at 10a0 [size=8]
>=>        I/O ports at 10a8 [size=8]
>=>        I/O ports at 10b0 [size=8]
>=>        I/O ports at 1080 [size=16]
>=>
>=>The first 2 ports are the serial ports. What I did was create a file
>=>/etc/rc.d/rc.serial that looks like this:
>=>
>=>#!/bin/bash
>=>#
>=>#Configure extra serial ports.
>=>#
> [...]
Maybe kudzu needs to detect the palm or you need to specify the desired
baud rate. With cameras, the camera program detects the camera. Do palm
pilots use a similar program?
You know the com ports anyway, a little progress.

Jim

--
We are using Linux daily to UP our productivity -- so UP yours, Microsoft!