KDE vs Gnome

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 16:20:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 10:57 -0500, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> Which should I use: KDE or Gnome?
> Someone told me that software people (which I am)
> should use KDE, but he didn't say why.

Though one. It depends greatly on personal taste.
I use KDE on all my Fedora development machines and GNOME on my
Slackware (eek! ;)) laptop. (KDE 3.5 is too heavy for it.)
In general, if you rather configure things by hand and eye candy is
important to you, KDE is the desktop for you. If you hate tweaking and
you rather have a clean out-of-the-box look, GNOME is your tools.
As I like to tweak my desktop and I live for eye-candy, KDE is my main
desktop. (KDE 3.5 is too heavy for my laptop... so I use gnome)

As for development tools, I tend to use tools from both environment
concurrently. (Nothing stops you from running GNOME utilities from a KDE
session and vice-versa)
My main editor is gvim, I use meld for diff, evolution for email and
abiword for simple text editing; All of them GNOME/GTK tools. Oh... and
I'm eagerly waiting for anjuta v2.0 IDE to be released.
On the other hand, KDE's konqurer file manager and amarok (MP3 player)
are years ahead of anything GNOME.

Being a C programmer, I never played with kdevelop (KDE's full blown
IDE); but a couple of my CPP-using friends swear by it. Plus, at least
by the people who use it, QT (KDE's base library) is the best CPP
toolkit. (Here comes the flame war)

In short, there's no simple answer to your question; I'd suggest you try
them both, and see what suites you best.

Gilboa