kernel source and nVidia drivers - Bigger Question - now just need solution

Bob Hartung rwhart at mchsi.com
Tue Jan 17 01:41:09 UTC 2006

Alright now,  I have made progress.

uname --all reports:

Linux minitwr 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 #1 Thu Jan 5 22:14:13 EST 2006 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

This tells me that I have a i386 kernel installed. right?

rpm -qa | grep kernel reports:
   kernel-doc-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
   kernel-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
   kernel-devel-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4

Now I now that the kernel-headers are for i686.  As the error I get
after running the nVidia installer is that I have the wrong kernel
source installed, i can only surmise that the difference is between i386
and i686.  Right?

So now, how can i force yum to upgrade/install the current i686 kernel
to replace the i386 kernel that I am currently running?

If you think I am completely wrong - say so!  I do want to keep up on
this as I will eventually better understand what I did wrong and
therfore avoid repeating it and maybe be able to help someone else.

by the by, I am not a computer scientist, but a physician and i am glad
that I am a hell of a lot handier with an angiograhic catheter and a CT
scanner or MRI than I am proving to be with the linux kernel, yum and
all the repositories that i am slowly finding out about.

Thanks again for putting up with this drivel.

Bob Hartung