K3b sees 4.7GB DVD+R as 4.4 GB

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 16:22:47 UTC 2006

Nigel Wade wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>> Please, allow each group its own jargon.
>>

> That gets right to the heart of the problem doesn't it?
>
> k is an international standard abbreviation for 1000, 1024 is jargon.

Oh, and now to respond to your point. It isn't a problem
for different trades to use jargon. As I pointed out in
another post, what Tim wrote is incorrect, it is not
misuse, it is jargon. All groups use jargon. And the use
of jargon by outsiders can lead to confusion. I pointed out
some use of jargon where a single term means multiple
things to physicists (I missed a good one with the term
"gauge field") on a regular basis. If I understood him,
the "problem" arises out of the need for precision.

Well, that's not correct, either. First, if one wants
"precision", then one wants lots of digits, not prefices,
anyway. Look up "precision". Second, the numbers which
I suspect Kenny would want quoted are incorrect, anyway.
At least in regards to disc drives (memory is a different
matter). Disc drives don't have "a capacity".

But look at this language...

"For an incredibly stupid reason, the computer fraternity took SI units"

"There's only one mob to blame for the confusion of what KB and MB,etc.,"

First we're a "stupid fraternity", and then a "mob".

Well, if you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, you can
leave.

I personally have never had a problem with this. My intellect
can span using a single term for more than one purpose.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.