resolution

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Jan 17 18:51:02 UTC 2006

Chris Norman wrote:
> Hi people,
> On my FC4 box, when I type ping 192.168.0.1 I get the IP and then the same
> IP again in brackets after it, whereas if I ping a computer name I just get
> "Unknown host" all the time.
>
> Is there any setting where I can have the name resolved to the IP and visa
> verser please?
This is a DNS issue.  Are you connected to a network?  If so, do you
have /etc/resolv.conf setup to point to that DNS server?  Another option
is to put the computer name and IP address in /etc/hosts.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415