resolution

Chris Norman cnorman at rnibncw.ac.uk
Tue Jan 17 18:54:32 UTC 2006

But what do I put in /etc/hosts?

The name server's already set up.

Cheers,

Chris Norman
<!-- chris.norman4 at ntlworld.com -->
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Howarth" <paul at city-fan.org>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: resolution

Chris Norman wrote:
> Hi people,
> On my FC4 box, when I type ping 192.168.0.1 I get the IP and then the same
> IP again in brackets after it, whereas if I ping a computer name I just
> get
> "Unknown host" all the time.
>
> Is there any setting where I can have the name resolved to the IP and visa
> verser please?

Simplest solution is to add entries for the machines you want to connect
to in /etc/hosts

Best solution is to run a nameserver somewhere on your network and have
all your machines use that. The type of nameserver would probably depend
on the type of network you have. If it's a work network, I'd have a
"bind" or equivalent nameserver running on one of the boxes. If it's a
home network with an ADSL router, the router might provide a DNS server
built-in...

Paul.