How to reinstall windows xp

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 17 20:05:06 UTC 2006

Michael Wright wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I'm trying to re-install windows XP home on an acer Aspire 3610,
> I'm using fedrocore 4 as a operating server. how can i install windows
> xp home.
>
> need it to remotely loggin to my server using xp home..

I think Linux has a tool to do this: look for Remote Desktop Connection
or similar, both KDE and Gnome hve tools.

Howver, this topic's made me think, maybe we have it wrong.

The standard MBR has code that looks for the first active partition and
boots that. A while back, I had cause to examine Darwin's source and ut
contains code (in Turbo Assembler) to do that.

If we (the Linux community) used a compatible MBR, perhaps using the
code from Darwin or FreeDOS, and installed it in /dev/hda (or whatever)
if there's no existing code there, then we'd get along much better with
Windows.

GRUB, LILO or WhatEver would go in the /boot partition.

If Michael reinstalled Windows, then he could go into wherever it is in
Windows he makes some other partition active and reactivate his /boot
partition, boot Linux and add a stanza for Windows.

Thoughts?

--

Cheers
John