xfs - gui - recent updates

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Tue Jan 17 20:29:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 13:42 -0500, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> On 1/17/06, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at pomec.net> wrote:
>
> > I tried creating a new user account, and doing a login on a terminal windown.  When I started 'startx' I received the same errors.
> >
> > I had a third machine develop the same symptoms of not displaying a gui login screen.  I am able to see the gui boot up process but when each system tries to switch to the gui login the display presents itself with some screwy lines.
> >
> > This all looks like the resolution has changed, but I have not changed any of the resolutions.
> >
> > Is there a way to change the resolution from a terminal window.  I would like to try to change the resolution to the same as the default for the boot up gui process.
> >
> > Sure would appreciate anyone's help.
>

> Try this procedure:
>
> Ctrl-Alt-F2 and log in as root
>
> vi /etc/inittab and set initdefault to runlevel 3.  Save the file and reboot.
>
> On the console log in as root and type startx -- for now just ignore
> all the errors.  Does the resulting TUI dialogs ask you if you want to
> generate a new xorg.conf file?
>
> If so, say yes and see if that does not resolve the issue. This
> procedure worked for me this past Sunday.  If it does resolve it --
> just edit the /etc/inittab file to start X in runlevel 5 and reboot.
>
> HTH/Bill
> --
> WC -Sx- Jones | http://ccsh.us/ | Open Source Consulting

Bill,

I can boot to run level 3 without any problem by appending "3" to the
boot line, when I run startx from the root account I get an error
telling me that it cannot find the fonts.  In checking xfs I find that
it is not running at all, and will not activate from the command line.

The more I have looked at this the more I believe it is related to one
of the more recent updates.  When I look at the logs of these systems it
seems that the problem has occurred after flex.i386 0:2.5.4a-35.fc4 was
updated.

I have put in a bug report, but have not heard back from anyone.  My
guess is that this is going to cause a lot of problems as users update
their systems.

Greg