Fwd: A question from the Fedora Foundation

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Jan 18 01:51:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 19:04 -0500, William Yardley wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 04:02:36PM -0800, Josh Coffman wrote:
>
> > Any one else get an email from this email address (sopwith at redhat.com)
> > asking information regarding willingness to support a fedora 501c3 in
> > the usa?
>
> Yes! I got this as well. Why he couldn't email the list directly, I
> don't know, but I think this is a pretty inappropriate thing to do
> (harvesting addresses from the list). My reading of the privacy policy
> on Red Hat's site is that it doesn't apply to people subscribing to the
> lists hosted by RH.

I don't think it was that big of a deal.
Had it been a solicitation for money, I might have objected.

It is a pretty important decision that will impact the future of fedora,
a mail to the list would have resulted in a lot of noise on the list as
everyone would have replied to the list (and replied to replies to the
list) - each response being sent to thousands of subscribers, and some
of the responses may not be suitable for public viewing.

Anyway, Fedora is about community involvement - and I'm glad they are
looking for responses from the community about this decision.