Fwd: A question from the Fedora Foundation

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jan 18 02:36:44 UTC 2006

Michael A. Peters wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 19:04 -0500, William Yardley wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 04:02:36PM -0800, Josh Coffman wrote:
>>

>>>Any one else get an email from this email address (sopwith at redhat.com)
>>>asking information regarding willingness to support a fedora 501c3 in
>>>the usa?
>>>

>>Yes! I got this as well. Why he couldn't email the list directly, I
>>don't know, but I think this is a pretty inappropriate thing to do
>>(harvesting addresses from the list). My reading of the privacy policy
>>on Red Hat's site is that it doesn't apply to people subscribing to the
>>lists hosted by RH.
>>

>I don't think it was that big of a deal.
>Had it been a solicitation for money, I might have objected.
>
>It is a pretty important decision that will impact the future of fedora,
>a mail to the list would have resulted in a lot of noise on the list as
>everyone would have replied to the list (and replied to replies to the
>list) - each response being sent to thousands of subscribers, and some
>of the responses may not be suitable for public viewing.
>
>Anyway, Fedora is about community involvement - and I'm glad they are
>looking for responses from the community about this decision.

I think getting the mail directed toward those on a one to one basis
instead of a public forum allowed expression that an individual would
hold back when the postings are public.

To summarize:
No I don't plan on donating money. Yes, I will take money coming my way.
No, tax status would not influence me to either donate or discourage me
from donating to the foundation. Yes, the presence and active
participation of Red Hat developers  influences positively my desire to
participate in the Fedora Project.

Jim

--
We are using Linux daily to UP our productivity -- so UP yours, Microsoft!