Copy files from read only fs as writable

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:30:02 UTC 2006

On 1/16/06, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Jonathan Berry wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > Is there a way that I can make files from a read only file system copy
> > over as writable?  I have an NTFS partition (I think the same thing
> > happens with, say, a CD) mounted read only and whenever I copy files
> > over from it, they are given permissions that exclude the write bit.
> > This is mostly just annoying, but I was wondering if there was some
> > way to have it automatically set the user writable bit when copying it
> > over.  Preferably a mount option so that it just works.  Any ideas?
> >
> > Jonathan
> >

> Reading the man page for cp indicates that --no-preserve=mode
> might do what you want.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Yeah, that could work, but I have to remember to do that (or set an
alias or create a script or something) and that only works from the
command line.  Occasionally, I might want to copy files using nautilus
(as I was the other day when this issue came up again), especially if
I want to copy a somewhat random selection of files.

Jonathan