FC-4 Wireless Problem

Alastair McKinley amckinley03 at qub.ac.uk
Wed Jan 18 15:37:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 20:17 -0600, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> >> But when I try to connect, I get:
> >>
> >> [root pauli gcovar]# ifup wlan0
> >> Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
> >>     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
> >>
> >> Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
> >>
> >> ----------------------
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what this error is and how to correct it? Any feedback
> >> will be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Teilhard.
> >>

> > What kind of wireless adaptor is it?
>

> It's the Linksys WUSB11 Ver. 2.6, with the Atmel chip. Fedora recognizes it
> out of the box, and installs the right driver. It works without a single
> problem in Mandriva, and of course, WinXP.
>

>  I've got an Intel IPW2915ABG in my
> > Thinkpad T43.  I get exactly the same message on boot, but it seems to
> > be harmless and I can connect anyway.  This started happening in driver
> > 1.0.8 I think...
>
> Do you think it is possible to downgrade?
>
> > Are you sure you're not connected after seeing this message? Does
> > iwconfig report that you are not associated with an access point?
>

> Positive. I'll tell you later what iwconfig says after the "failed" outcome,
> because I am responding from Window$.
>

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Alastair
> >
> > P.S. cc: me if you reply
>
> Of course.
>
> teilhard.

Hi Teilhard,

Is it this type of chipset? Atmel at76c50x?

I see its in the mainline kernel.  Makes a module called atmel.ko.
Have you got the correct firmware image in /lib/firmware or somewhere
similar?

This website seems to have the firmware images for the at76c50x (and
probably some newer ones, i didnt check)

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/atmel

Also did you try "/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key open" before entering the
network key?  I think it probably defaults to open but I do it in my
configuration.

Best regards,

Alastair