Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 18 18:21:29 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> Ya. Continue to believe I am lying all the way to you to make you
>>> convince something that isnt really true. Nice way to get anything
>>> done. I said there wasnt any major security fixes involved at this
>>> point and that is the information that I gather from the
>>> #fedora-legacy discussions. If it isn't true, then it isnt. We still
>>> have a lot more work on maintaining a release than merely security
>>> fixes. Anyway fedora-devel list has a ongoing discussion.  Feel free
>>> to share your thoughts there.
>>

>> This is getting out of hand. I haven't seen anyone claim you
>> are lying, Rahul.
>

> what is it all about "I dont believe it is" every single mail then?.
> Explain it to me if you can.

Well, I don't know what your native language is. You seem
pretty competent in English. However that may be, the subject
of the sentence "You are lying" is "you", and the subject
of "I don't believe that" is "I". One makes a statement about
you, and the other makes a statement about the speaker.

So much for grammar.

"I don't believe this is true." makes the claim that Dave
does not believe what Rahul has said.

"You are lying." makes the claim that Rahul does not believe
what Rahul has said.

That's the semantics of it.

It's a matter of imputing motive. The first statement, while
it allows that the person may be lying, does not imply that
he is. The second statement imputes bad motives, and deceptiveness.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.