Getting ready for FC5

Gawain Lynch gawain.lynch at bigpond.com
Thu Jan 19 02:05:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 16:56 -0700, Paul Lemmons wrote:
> I would like to upgrade to FC5 when it comes out but need to be
> cautious about it. I run FC4 as my primary desktop and would really
> like to test the upgrade before doing it for real. I daily use vmware
> to run Windows for those pesky apps that I just have to have in the
> corporate environment. I have used it also to play with rawhide.
>
> To test the upgrade to FC5 I would like to copy my current
> "production" desktop environment to a vmware session and test the
> upgrade there. Does anybody know if this is possible? And while I am
> asking, does anybody have an opinion as to whether or not this is a
> good idea?
> --

Yes and Yes.  It is always a good idea to test upgrades in a sandbox if
you can.

Download a copy of Tom's bootdisk from http://www.toms.net/rb, use this
as a floppy image to boot a virtual machine and then follow the
instructions at
http://www.rajeevnet.com/hacks_hints/os_clone/os_cloning.html

Once you have upgraded head on over to the wiki and read
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JefSpaleta/TestingManifesto to get an idea
of how to deal with any bugs you find.