'GPL encumbrance problems' (jdow)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 19 12:10:25 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 02:51 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Richard Stallman believes that commercial software with trade secrets
> in them are somehow morally wrong, and he set out to build a system
> which would not have and could not have any trade secrets in it.

. From a certain point of view, I kind of agree with the sentiment.  It
certainly is a pain having to keep Lotus on a system, and Word, and
several others, because you have to cope with other people's documents
that don't work well in your preferred application.  So from a point of
view of operability, I dislike trade secrets in the tools I work with.
On the other hand, I don't really care about knowing how software works
in a game I've played, or the set-top digital TV box, etc.

I find his views a bit extremist, even if I agree with some of them.

I read messages from the public lists.