Boot cd

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 19 15:01:02 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:

>>>Why do people do this?  Faced with instructions that say how to burn a
>>>disc from ISOs, or having to find said instructions, they go looking for
>>>something else to unpack the image file.
>

> Mike McCarty:
>
>>Well, use of language like this is part of what causes the confusion.
>>One does not "unpack" an ISO, because an ISO is not a "packed file".
>>It is a file system. One can mount it, but not "unpack" or "extract".
>>These words should properly only be used with .tar, .arc, .zip, .rar,
>>.lzh, .gz, etc. files. Not with .iso.
>

> Well to be really pedantic, unpacking doesn't *have* to refer to

I wasn't being pedantic. I pointed out that the use of language
like that was confusing and inappropriate. This is practical and
pragmatic.  I emphatically did not insist that anyone stop using
that term, did I?

Anyway, I have never used terms like "unpack" with regards to
an ISO image, or even anything like an ISO image, like a floppy
disc image, for example, which I have been making and using for
quite a number of years.

[snip]

> And taking a rather obtuse, but not totally incorrect point of view; if
> I make an ISO file of a CD-ROM, to back up somewhere else, I *have*
> "archived" it.  I might well want to extract one file from an ISO, and I
> have actually done that on one or two occasions.

I was careful not to use the word "archive", and yet you act as
if I did.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.