'GPL encumbrance problems' (jdow)

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 01:52:38 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Do you claim that RS is able to make people be nice to each other?
> Then what the hell is going on in Iraq?

Wow, you're really reaching there.  Trying to draw parallels between
software licensing and war.  I've got to give you credit this time,
you've left me speechless.

> >>BTW, desiring to control the behavior of others is generally
> >>considered a personality disorder.
> >

> > BTW, that's exactly what commerical EULAs do, also.  So commerical
> > software distributors are all rife with personality disorders, as
> > well?
>
> I'm sure that some of them do. I don't know of any who believe that
> they can "make people be nice to each other" with an EULA.

Great way to miss the point, Mike.  The point is "EULAs also seek to
control the behavior of others."  Regardless if that behavior is "be
nice to other people and share your software" or  it's "agree to keep
this copy to yourself and never share it with anyone," it's control.
So, by that logic, Mike, even you have a personality disorder by
seeking to control the behavior of others through your licensing
terms.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."