'GPL encumbrance problems' (jdow)

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 20 02:07:07 UTC 2006

Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On 1/19/06, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>Do you claim that RS is able to make people be nice to each other?
>>Then what the hell is going on in Iraq?
>

> Wow, you're really reaching there.  Trying to draw parallels between
> software licensing and war.  I've got to give you credit this time,
> you've left me speechless.

LOL

I didn't think that anyone would find an objection to claiming
that an EULA could "make people be nice to each other" was
impossible, either. So I had to do *something* to show how
absurd it seemed to me.

>>>BTW, that's exactly what commerical EULAs do, also.  So commerical
>>>software distributors are all rife with personality disorders, as
>>>well?
>>
>>I'm sure that some of them do. I don't know of any who believe that
>>they can "make people be nice to each other" with an EULA.
>

> Great way to miss the point, Mike.  The point is "EULAs also seek to
> control the behavior of others."  Regardless if that behavior is "be

Oh, I got the point. This is sorta like the "you can't legislate
morality" argument against passing a law against [pick your favorite
topic, say drug abuse]. ALL laws legislate morality.

> nice to other people and share your software" or  it's "agree to keep
> this copy to yourself and never share it with anyone," it's control.
> So, by that logic, Mike, even you have a personality disorder by
> seeking to control the behavior of others through your licensing
> terms.
>
> Funny how that works, isn't it?

I think the whole idea of trying to "make people be nice to each
other" is hilarious and absurd and ridiculous.

I didn't make the claim that everyone who wants any control has
a personality disorder.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.