RPM database question

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jan 20 08:30:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 15:54 -0800, David Boles wrote:
> Neal Becker wrote:
> > David Boles wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry if this posts twice. It did not appear to post.
> >>
> >> I seem to recall that there was a long CLI command that would list the
> >> 'duplicate installs' in the RPM database. These caused false dependency
> >> problems because RPM thought the 'old' version was still installed.
> >>
> >> Example:
> >>
> >> foopackage-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm    and
> >> foopackage-1.2.3-2.i386.rpm
> >>
> >> And there was a way to repair this.
> >>
> >> Would someone please post this if it is still an option? Or another
> >> solution?
> >
> > If you don't actually want to remove, then you can do:
> >
> > rpm -e --justdb.
> >

> I want to thank eveyone for their help and suggestions. But...
>
> Either I can not type or I am just not doing something exactly correctly. Or
> maybe it is not possible anymore.
>
> Sometimes the rpm database would get stuck with two listings of the same
> package and one is -1 number higher in version. Or .1 higher. There WAS a way
> to get RPM to ONLY show the duplicate packages that had different version
> numbers. Not all of them with the duplicates listed together in a long list.
> This duplicate problem would cause dependency problems. The older version
> could then be rpm -e <old packagename/number> by looking at the list and that
> would solve this problem.

The previously-offered suggestion of:

$ rpm -q $(rpm -qa --queryformat %{NAME}'\n' | sort | uniq -d)

produces this output on one of my boxes:

gpg-pubkey-b56a8bac-3bbc4d06
gpg-pubkey-10a792ad-3ee367d2
gpg-pubkey-1cddbca9-3f9da14c
gpg-pubkey-897da07a-3c979a7f
gpg-pubkey-30c9ecf8-3f9da3f7
gpg-pubkey-92f0fc09-3ada4b35
gpg-pubkey-ab75cc45-3e3e9f10
gpg-pubkey-23b66a9d-40912de4
gpg-pubkey-e418e3aa-3f439953
gpg-pubkey-db42a60e-37ea5438
gpg-pubkey-4f2a6fd2-3f9d9d3b
gpg-pubkey-1ac70ce6-41bebeef
gpg-pubkey-161c06b1-3e966e6a
gpg-pubkey-396f0789-3e642261
gpg-pubkey-c431416d-3db4c821
gpg-pubkey-99ca41f4-431dd03c
kernel-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4
kernel-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4
kernel-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4
kernel-2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
kernel-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4

Is that not the sort of output you're after, with only the duplicate
packages listed, with full version/release info?

Paul.