Existing connections / changing IpTables

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 20 13:07:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 14:56 -0800, Richard Emberson wrote:
> What happens to existing connections if one reconfigures the
> machine's IpTables?
> Add a new rule?
> Remove a rule?
> Blow away configuration and set a new one?

I've done the above, and nothing has happened to connections, they've
carried on unimpeded.  Of course I've been manipulating rules that
aren't related to what I'm doing (e.g. opening or closing some port to
allow someone to connect to my webserver or block it, while a download
carries on in the background).

> Add a host/port mapping?
> Remove a host/port mapping?

If you mean port forwarding, I've manipulated rules for that, too, with
no problems.  e.g. Forwarding incoming port 8000 connections through to
port 80 on a machine inside the network.

I read messages from the public lists.