Receiving spam when posting to list

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jan 20 14:23:20 UTC 2006

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:
>>Of course, by the time e-mails to this list leave Red Hat, the mailing
>>list software will have added a Reply-To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>header anyway...
>>

> You do have to be a bit careful with that change.
>
> This does not look like spam to me.  Spam is unsolicited commercial
> email.

Or, as most people actually involved in anti-spam efforts define it,
"Unsolicited Bulk Email".

> This looks like the guy went on vacation and forgot to
> turn off delivery at the Fedora site.  Annoying, but not spam.
>
> My concern is that it the bounced mail will get forwarded to the
> list including back to the guy with the full mailbox.  It will
> be important to make sure the fedora-list mailer recognizes the
> bounce and pitches the email.

The fedora-list mailer is working properly. It rewrites the envelope
sender address for list emails to fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com before
distributing the message. This causes bounces from properly-working
systems to be sent to redhat.com and not the original poster of the
message. This allows the mail admins at redhat.com to remove addresses
that persistently bounce from the list.

What is broken is that one particular recipient has a mail system that
sends "bounces" to the header sender ("From:") address, i.e. in this
case the original poster of the message. It is their system that should
be fixed, not the list server.

A snail-mail equivalent might be for a magazine subscription, which
would typically have something like "If undelivered, please return to
address X" on the back of the envelope, and a completely different
address for "Write to the editor" inside the magazine. Misdirected mail
should be returned to the former of these addresses, not the latter.

Paul.